Design & construction of a new paint manufacturing facility
Named after the writer, painter and highly regarded designer, Annie Sloan is a UK based paint manufacturer who transformed the world of furniture painting with the creation of her own brand of decorative paint, Chalk Paint®, in 1990. Annie’s fine-art background and contagious enthusiasm for decorative painting has motivated both home painters and experienced professionals over the last 30 years.
In order to meet with increasing demand, Annie Sloan employed the services of Ai Process to design, construct and project manage a brand new purpose-built manufacturing and packaging facility at their site in Oxford, for the production of their own range of now famous Chalk Paint bases.
Scope of Works
To provide process design services and project manage the construction and installation of:
- A 135,000 litre solvent tank farm and distribution system
- Multi-head dispense system
- Big bag powder handling & dust extraction
- Bulk mixing and dispersion systems
- Bulk tinting mixers and holding tanks
- Automated filling lines
- Recipe driven SCADA control systems
- Waste settlement system
- Process infrastructure, including pipework, pipe bridge, extraction system, trace heating, lagging, cladding and electrics
Following approval of the design, Ai Process project managed the installation of the following:
- Minimum disruption to ongoing site works
- Efficient process flow
- Process automation
- Additional capacity for future growth
- Latest Good Engineering Practice techniques
- Health and Safety regulations
- Rigid time and financial constraints
A crucial element of the design project was to ensure that the plant had extremely flexible production lines to incorporate a wide range of product recipes with minimal contamination.