Design and development of new business premises for Ai Process
We are incredibly proud of our new state-of-the-art purpose-built premises. This amazing transformation manages to encompass the very latest technology, combined with the traditional architecture of a former 19th century chapel.
Estabished in 1987 Ai Process has developed into one of the UK’s leading specialist process engineering consultancies with a pedigree of successful projects in a wide variety of market sectors throughout the world.
Having been based in Pennine Lancashire since its inception, the decision was made in 2013 to move to new premises, as the building had outgrown its former multiplex premises and wanted to stand alone as an organisation. Ai Process purchased The Corn Mill – originally built as a chapel in the 19th century. The building’s traditional exterior was largely intact, but a series of earlier conversions had stripped the interior of many of the original features and had left the building in need of urgent attention.
Ai Process appointed Taylor Architecture Practice to transform The Corn Mill into new purpose-built premises for the expanding business. The architects used high quality design techniques and materials to maintain the traditional looking building, whilst managing to create a contemporary well-facilitated working environment on the inside.
The Design Challenge
The biggest challenge was to combine the stunning architecture of the 19th century building with the very latest technology, whilst taking into account:
- The creation of additional working floor areas
- Suitable meeting space to welcome clients
- Regulations relating to being ‘disabled’ friendly
- Energy efficiency
Scope of Works
The conversion began in February 2013 and involved:
- Removal of an existing mezzanine floor & ceiling space
- Installation of two new upper floor levels, to provide a series of open plan, cellular offices and meeting spaces
- Re-construction of entrances to both the street and lower ground floor
- Installation of new staircases and a lift
- Energy efficient double-glazed windows, high efficiency lighting and air source hear pumps
- Various stone repair and other conservation measures
The project took a total of 2 years to complete, from initial selection of the architects, design work and planning approval to its eventual re-development. The result is stunning – a true testimony to the innovation, vision and precision upon which we pride ourselves.
We are very proud of our new premises and welcome any opportunity to invite new and prospective clients to visit The Corn Mill and discuss respective requirements with our design team.